AeroFS has three roles when sharing folders with others: Owner, Editor and Viewer.
Owner: This is the role that has the highest level permissions, and is usually the person who created the shared folder. As the owner, the person can:
- Invite new users to the folder.
- Change any user's role in that folder.
- Make changes to the contents of the shared folder (download and upload files to and from the folder).
Editor: This person was invited by the Owner of the shared folder and is able to:
- Make changes to the contents of the shared folder (download and upload files to and from the folder)
Viewer: This person was invited by the Owner of the shared folder and has the lowest access level. Viewers can:
- Download files made by other users in shared folders
Any updates made to a file by a Viewer is visible to the Viewer only; the updates will NOT transfer to other users of the shared folder and will NOT transfer to other devices owned by the same Viewer. This role is recommended when you want to distribute files to clients or to partners outside of your team, but do not wish for them to modify the files in any way.
An example of how a Viewer role interacts with Editors (or Owners) in a shared folder:
- An Editor updates a file in a shared folder, creating version 2 of said file, which is then transferred to all users of the shared folder.
- A Viewer of that folder receives version 2 of the file, and updates the file with another set of changes. The Viewer has created version 3 on their local device, which is visible ONLY to this viewer on this device.
- The Editor makes another update to the same file, creating version 3 on the Editor's device. This version 3 is transferred to all other users of the team.
- At this point there are two version-3's on the Viewer's device - one created by the Viewer themselves, one downloaded from the Editor. AeroFS notifies the Viewer of the conflict, and the Viewer chooses which version to keep.
- If the conflict is not resolved on the Viewer's device at that point, and if that Viewer becomes an Editor in the future, the two version-3's will appear on the devices of all other users of the folder. Another user must resolve the conflict at that point.