The SMTP verification step in the AeroFS Appliance setup is designed to ensure that your SMTP settings are configured correctly. The Appliance attempts to deliver mail containing averification code to the specified email address. In some cases, the verification email may not appear in your mail Inbox. Here are some tips to help you work through this situation.
Basic Troubleshooting Tips
- Double check the email address you entered in the "Test SMTP settings" dialog is correct.
- Check your spam folders and try refreshing your Inbox.
Advanced Troubleshooting Tips
- If you're using the Appliance's local mail relay, verify that the SMTP server that handles mail sent to your email address is not rejecting mail sent from the Appliance. You may need to change your SMTP server's rules to whitelist your Appliance.
- If you're using Google's SMTP server, make sure you use the SMTP host
smtp.gmail.com, port 587, with Start TLS Encryption enabled. You may also need to update your SMTP relay settings.
- If you're using the external mail relay option, you may need to provide the
server certificate for StartTLS. Your SMTP server's certificate can usually be obtained using
the 'openssl' command line tool as shown below:
openssl s_client -connect smtp.gmail.com:465
openssl s_client -showcerts -starttls smtp -crlf -connect smtp.office365.com:587