The AeroFS Attachment Manager allows for easy management of large and small email attachments. It does so by automatically stripping out attachment content, placing the content in AeroFS, and replacing it in the original email using a secure AeroFS link. This is accomplished using a server-side plugin for Microsoft Exchange. No client-side or end-user configuration is needed.
This article describes how to install this plugin for Microsoft Exchange 2007.
Installing AeroFS Attachment Manager
- Go to your Appliance Management Interface.
- Under Settings click on Email Integration.
- Download the zip file for Microsoft Exchange 2007.
- Extract the content from the zip file.
- Copy AttachmentManager2007.dll to C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\agents\AeroFS or to the location your Exchange Server is installed.
- Open the Exchange Management Shell and run the following command to
install AeroFS Attachment Manager.
Install-TransportAgent -Name "AttachmentManager" -TransportAgentFactory "AttachmentManager.Factory" -AssemblyPath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\ Exchange Server\TransportRoles\agents\AeroFS\ AttachmentManager2007.dll"
Configuring AeroFS Attachment Manager
- The zip file contains a file named
Configure.reg. Double-click on or run
Configure.regto populate the Windows registry with the default configuration.
- Open the Windows Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
- Locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\AeroFS\AttachmentManagerand edit the values.
Domainshould be set to the domain of the AeroFS Appliance, e.g.
AccessTokenneeds to be created. First, create an AeroFS user that will store all the attachment data content. Log onto AeroFS as this user, click the email address at the top right to go to Settings, then click Show Advanced Options. Last, click Create a New Access Token. Your token will be displayed, and this is what you should set as the value for
Thresholdis the minimum size (in bytes) an attachment must exceed for it to be replaced by a link. Setting
Thresholdto 0 will instruct AttachmentManager to replace all attachments with links.
LogLevelis the logging level for the AttachmentManager. The supported log levels are "DEBUG", "INFO", and "WARN". It is recommended to set the log level at "INFO". Your logs are located at
- Open the Exchange Management Shell and run the following command to enable
the Attachment Manager.
Enable-TransportAgent -Identity "AttachmentManager"
- Next run the following command to restart the Microsoft Exchange.
- The attachments will only be replaced by AeroFS links if the sender is an AeroFS organization member and the size of the attachment is greater than or equal to the threshold size limit set by the administrator during configuration.
- The Microsoft Exchange Server needs to be able to communicate with the AeroFS appliance over port 4433.
Uninstalling AeroFS Attachment Manager
If you'd like to uninstall the Attachment Manager, please refer to our article on uninstalling the AeroFS Attachment Manager.